Conrad's on Winter Street
The Conrad building has a long history in Boston dating back to the 1800s. It was once the site of a popular department store, Conrad’s on Winter Street. Before department stores were the norm, Conrad's made a name for itself by offering a one-stop-shop for customers - women's apparel, infant and toddler goods, a small selection of men’s apparel, beauty salons, and some children’s toys and clothing. Conrad’s became known as “that distinctive store on Winter Street.”
Boston Retail Scene
In the 1950's, two of Boston's well-known stores, White's and Slattery's, closed their doors. Boston was no longer a thriving shopping destination. In order to keep with the changing retail scene, Conrad's merged with Chandler and Company on Tremont Street - another department store that had a long history and loyal consumers within Boston. United, the two stores grew stronger and larger. They selected Winter Street as the place to retain and merge their stores. By January 1958, both stores were united on Winter Street with a sign above the doors proclaiming this new partnership - Conrad and Chandler's.